ITU Telecom World 2018 Event overview
- Organized by ITU, the UN’s lead agency for information and telecommunications technologies (ICTs), ITU Telecom World is a global platform for governments, corporates and tech SMEs working to accelerate ICT innovation for social and economic development. It aims to make ideas go further, faster to make the world better, sooner.
- ITU Telecom World 2018 is hosted by the Government of the Republic of South Africa, and takes place from 10 – 13 September at the Durban International Conference Center in Durban, South Africa, a key regional commercial and technological hub.
- Focusing on smart digital development and fostering SME growth, the event brings together a together a unique audience of public and private sectors from emerging and developed markets including heads of state and government, ministers, regulators, industry CEOs and experts, investors, SME representatives, heads of UN and other international organizations, digital thinkers, media, academia and consultants.
- ITU Telecom World 2018 features an exhibition of digital solutions, a forum for sharing knowledge, an Awards progamme recognizing innovative ICT initiatives with social impact, and a networking hub for organizations, countries and individuals.
- The Exhibition enables member states, ITU sector members, and other industry players to bring industry stands, thematic pavilions, national pavilions and SMEs to the event to showcase innovative services, applications and solutions, as well as investment and partnership opportunities from around the world.
- Focusing on innovation for smarter digital development, the world-class Forum Summit and Forum programme offer debates at the highest level on the central issues affecting the ICT industry today, exploring in-depth developments in technology, policy and regulatory issues, strategy and business models in the digital economy. Topics will include 5G, IoT, new regulatory approaches, AI, digital financial services, satellite connectivity, spectrum allocation, smart cities, innovative business models, digital literacy and universal connectivity.
- The high-profile ITU Telecom World Awards recognize innovative ICT-based solutions with social impact, providing international visibility, the opportunity to develop business on a global scale, partnership and networking opportunities to the best exhibiting SMEs and corporate initiatives working for social good.
- Structured networking events, spaces and social occasions connect the private sector and government, individuals and ideas like no other tech event. Opportunities include the Opening Ceremony, LeaderSpace, Business Matchmaking, Contact Facilitation Service, networking breaks, lunches and dinners, and the popular Event App.